Shadowy art is putting money in someone’s pocket. A graphic artist from Redwood City California, Damon Belanger was commissioned to paint fake shadows in the downtown of Redwood City in order to inspire creativity to the area. Living and working in the San Francisco Bay Area took to the streets of the city to make surreal street art.
Unlike the normal sidewalk painting, his artwork takes advantage of shadows cast on the walls in the city, with some only being visible in the evening hours. Many other cities around the world are borrowing from Belanger’s skills to create beautiful works of art using shadows.
The artist has created sprouting shadowy arts of a variety of objects and animals, including monkeys, cats, and aliens, among others on the city’s roadways. He starts by stencilling in the outlines of the shadows he is seeking to create to make his shadowy sidewalk art. He then finishes by painting them dark grey, which gives them their shadowy appearance.
Here are some of his artwork that has wowed and scared folks on the streets of Redwood City, California.
1. This dragon exhaling fire could scare the shit out of you.
2. Could make a great art souvenir
3. Makes one miss the sunrises even when its scorchy as hell.
4. Whoa! when you come across such a monstrous thing, just run away.
5. How on earth did he pull that?
6. Pharaoh and his chariots back to life?
7. The devil himself probably, slithering across the streets looking for fans.
8. Look’s like a robot with a grasshopper’s head.