Lovers of alcohol are not very pleased after Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiangi, ordered the closure of bars 5 pm to 6 am on both Saturday and Sunday as Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) officials conduct the census. He urged the public to be at their residences on the Reference Night so that Census can be conducted smoothly as planned.
“So please be available in your house on Saturday to ensure you are counted. That is why we will have all the social places, especially bars, closed from 5 pm so that we give everyone an ample time to be home by 6 pm when enumerators will be coming to count you,” said Matiangi.
In a trending #Census2019, Kenyans on Twitter, have shared funny memes and short video clips on how they are going to beat Matiangi at his game, no matter how important the census is.
Here are some of the funny memes.
1.Brain cell 1 to brain cell 2
— Peter Mwai (@MwaiPetrov) August 23, 2019
2. At 5 pm when enumerators walk in, there will be no man standing.
Mataing:3 hours is enough for drinkin beer
— Mukujin bartowski (@Lwangees) August 23, 2019
3. Lol! Can someone halla grammar cops.
— duchie👑 (@lordeduchiee) August 23, 2019
4. How alcoholics will be slithering back into their cribs Saturday morning.
— festus musembi (muisyo) (@festusmusembi7) August 23, 2019
5. We got our arses covered just in case Matiangi plays tricks on us with a one-day extension.
— james kanyi (@jayjaymachaa) August 23, 2019
6. Till death do us part, no man can put asunder.
— Victor Mochere (@VictorMochere) August 22, 2019
7. We are the smartest of them all.
— Booyo. (@1Kimutai) August 22, 2019
8. Alcohol and football is food for the soul. EPL fanatics where you at?
So if they count me at 6:30pm I still can't go out of my home n into my local pub to watch football because they're all going to be closed?
Is this Kenya in 2019?#Countmeout#Censuskenya2019 pic.twitter.com/Gy7wfNdWzi
— ping pong official 🇰🇪 (@pauliddiali) August 22, 2019
9. Stocking up for the long weekend ahead. No beer no census.
— George Waweru (@MkulimaMdogo) August 22, 2019
10. For keeps.
— Dennis Aldedra (@aldedra) August 23, 2019