If you don’t file your taxes on time you will incur a penalty. The penalty for late income iTax submission is 20,000 shilling as defined by the Tax Procedure Act 2015. File your returns early to avoid last minute rush.
Filing returns is easy as long as you have the necessary documents. For those who are employed you need a P9 form from your employer and if you are self employed you need to have a receipt statement showing your profit and loss. For those who are not employed like the students, you are also expected to file returns and here you can file nil returns.
First you need to register for a KRA pin.
KRA Pin Registration
- Go to the iTax KRA website and click on new PIN registration.
- Under individual form, select the Taxpayer Type as individual and as the Mode of Registration as online form then click on the next button
- Fill in section A which contain basic information. Select your Citizenship and fill all the fields marked with red
- Once you have filled section A click next to move to section B. For Kenyan and non Kenyan Residents, select the Income Tax Resident field and indicate the registration date which is the date you are making registration. For non Kenyan, non Resident select the Income Tax non Resident field to provide the date.
- Section C highlights the source income. Select the relevant source of income and fill the forms provided. In case you are a students or non-employed select NO in all fields, then click next button.
- The final step has the Agents details. For individual registrations you are not required to fill in agents details. Leave it blank, perform the simple arithmetics to show that you are human and Click on the Submit button.
You can now download and print your PIN certificate together with the acknowledgement receipt.
After you have registered for a pin, you will receive a password which you will use to login to your iTax account on the email that you used during registration. Use the password to login and after you can change the password if you like.
- Once you login to your iTax account you will find the home page. Click on the “RETURNS” menu
- After you have clicked on the returns menu a drop down will appear. Choose “FILE RETURN” in case you are a student and you have no income choose “FILE NIL RETURN” option. If you have already filed your returns and realized you made errors, you have the option of redoing the returns and filing afresh. Just choose the second option which is “FILE AMENDED RETURN”. You can also view the changes.
- Once you have clicked on the ” FILE RETURN” you will go to the next page. Select the relevant option and click next
- Download an excel sheet and fill in the relevant data
- Confirm the data you filled in and make sure there are no errors. Ensure to indicate if it is an original return or an amended return. Indicate the return period, agree to the terms and conditions then submit.
- After submitting the return , you will receive an acknowledgement number and an email confirming that you have successfully submitted your return.