While you are busy downloading one digital loan app after another, getting loans, defaulting and deleting them, hawkeyed Credit Reference Bureaus are keeping tabs on your, ready to put your name in the BlackBook.
With the Credit Reference Bureau, a company that collects credit information about borrowers from a variety of sources and provides it to lenders for various purposes, it’s simple. Information gathered by the CRB is crucial to banks, microfinance institutions and SACCOs (Savings and Credit co-operative societies) as it helps to assess the borrowers’ creditworthiness.
All lenders are obligated to report defaulters to the Credit Reference Bureau in Kenya after which they get blacklisted. The defaulter will be banned from accessing any form of credit from a formal source, for a period of 5 years unless they clear their outstanding balance beforehand. For that reason it is very prudent you keep checking your credit status regularly, by obtaining a report which contains, Identification details, Employment details, and Credit performance
Here is how to obtain your report from various CRBs in the country,
1. To Access Credit Report from Metropol
- Dial *433#
- Follow instruction by entering your ID number
- You will receive an SMS prompting you to pay registration fee Ksh 100.
- To Pay, Go to Mpesa and Select Lipa na Mpesa Menu, then Paybill
Business Number Enter: 220388
Account Number: Enter your ID
Enter Ksh 100 as the amount then send
- You will receive an SMS with a link to access your report
2. To Access Your Credit Report from TransUnion
- Send your official names to 21272
- Register by paying Ksh 50 to Paybill number 212121 using your ID number as the account number.
- Once you have made the payment, you will receive an SMS to confirm your registration.
- Text CR to 212121 to receive your credit report.
3. To Access Your Credit Report From CreditInfo
- Visit creditinfo.com
- Click on the Credit Report button
- Fill in the details with your details and attach a photo of your ID.
- You will receive an email prompting you to pay Ksh 50 for verification.
- After payment, you will receive your credit report on email.