Any Kenyan citizen wishing to travel out of the country must have a passport. A passport is a document issued by the government proving you are a Kenyan citizen. Getting a passport in Kenya can either be simple or hectic depending on how you follow the process. If you need to apply for a passport, you then have to apply 30 days before the day you wish to travel out of the country.
There are importance steps you need to follow in order to acquire a passport with no difficulties.
- First make a registration on eCitizen.go.ke. To complete the registration process you need to give your ID number and phone number.
- Login to the eCitizen platform. If the application is successful, submit your application to the Department of Immigration Services.
- Choose the forms as per your requirement. There are three forms; one for children, one for adults and another one for the permit.
- After choosing the form, you are directed to the application guidelines, the cost is also indicated. At the bottom click the Apply now button to get your online application form.
- The applicant is required to fill in the details. After filling, you are requested to review all the filled details to make sure they are correctly filled. If the details are okay, click on the continue button.
- The applicant is directed to the payment page. Different payment modes are provided. You can choose to pay via Mpesa, Airtel money, credit card, debit card or ecitizen Agent.
- If the payment is complete, click on the complete button to continue.
- Print your passport application invoice and keep it as a proof of successful completion of application procedure.
Passport Application Requirements in Kenya
The Department of Immigration in Kenya has adopted certain guidelines. These are the basic passport application requirements in Kenya you need to have in order to acquire a passport stress free.
- Three receipts of eCitizen pre-filled application form.
- Your original National ID card and its photocopy.
- Recommender’s ID card copy.
- Photocopy of your original birth certificate.
- Three copies of current passport size photo.
- Parents National ID cards and photocopies. If one (or both) is (are) deceased the copy (ies) of the death certificate (s) must be attached. Then, the applicant have to provide a valid National ID photocopy of a relative to act as the next of kin.
- In case of minors, you need to provide consent letters.
If you need a passport, the best way is through online application of passport in Kenya. It is easy and saves you time.