Kenya prides itself in the Mombasa Nairobi Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) a multi-billion project flagged by the government at a cost worth Sh327 billion. In conjunction with China’s Exim Bank, the government of Kenya constructed SGR the biggest of its infrastructure project since independence.
The SGR has shortened the passenger travel time from Mombasa to Nairobi to about five hours with the first ever fare-paying commuters boarding the “Madaraka Express” on June 1, 2017, and other commercial services kicking in a year later.
The Mombasa-Nairobi SGR has nine passenger stations, The SGR route starts from Mombasa and passes through Mariakani, Miasenyi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River and finally to Nairobi.
The SGR Kenya booking platform has made it easier for real-time, booking and ticket validation to passengers in these stations, saving them on their resources and time. The platform has drastically digitized the traveling experience, cutting down on its shortcomings.
SGR Kenya Booking Online
- Visit https://metickets.krc.co.ke/
- Search up inter-country or express train. Depending on your preference, feed in all your travel details (Departure, destination date and time) as prompted by the page
- The system will generate a unique code that will be sent from SGR online booking via email or short message to your mobile device.
- Payment can then be made via M-pesa through the provided Paybill number. The online SGR train booking system enables customers to monitor their ticket detail and payment status at a button click. Those who are uncertain about their bookings can cancel their tickets and seek refunds later if the payment had already been processed into the system.
- Travelers are encouraged to keep a printed copy of their ticket confirmation message as a boarding pass, by printing the text of the response or mail received before the traveling date which is pretty much smooth compared to the manual method.
Alternatively, contact SGR Booking Customer Service
- Call the SGR Customer Service through their booking contacts 0709 388 888 within their working hours
- Depending on the class you choose to travel in, the SGR agent will inform you of the charges prior to your contact details for record purposes.
- A short message will prompt you on how to make the payment via M-pesa
- As soon as the payment is done, you will receive a message with your travel ticket details. Make sure you report to the station on time on your travel day.